Dr Vivien Rolfe PhD, MBA
I’m Viv and I am growing this venture to help companies develop their business through offering research and entrepreneurship services.
I’m an accomplished scientific leader and I’ve worked in universities as well as human health and pet care industries. I’m presently Head of Herbal Research for Pukka Herbs Ltd and establish global partnerships to research the amazing world of herbs and spices. My interests are:
- Herbalism and the evidence-base behind using herbs
- Leadership and developing research strategies and cultures within small and large enterprises
- Wellbeing, healthcare, confectionary and pet care industries
- Leading educational initiatives as recognised in 3 UK Higher Education teaching awards
As an established researcher you can find a list of my papers and conference presentations here –> http://vivrolfe.com/books-and-publications/. As a keen blogger for over ten years, this website is also home to a large number of articles on weird and wonderful subjects.
I love all types of research and in my career have moved roles and become established in qualitative and quantitative techniques. Following a PhD in gut physiology, I moved into clinical research at the Institute of Child Health in London, and following that, veterinary research at the Waltham Centre Mars Inc. Here I did a secondment in consumer understanding and tracked petcare and human food brand performance across the UK and Republic of Ireland.
I then joined academia where I’ve worked in Nursing and Biomedical Science departments, and unexpectedly found joy and a talent for creating animations for students. This led to gaining large-scale funding from the Jisc-run UK Open Educational Resource programme – an ambitious project with a strong community still thriving today concerned with making higher education more affordable and accessible.
In 2023 I completed an MBA with Edinburgh Napier University in Entrepreneurship, and graduated with a distinction. I am now applying my knowledge and experiences to help businesses develop entrepreneurial cultures and practices, and to help them build their research capability. You can read more about this on my ‘services’ page.
Qualifications and Leadership Awards
- BSc, PhD Gut physiology, Sheffield University
- MBA, Edinburgh Napier University
Glaxo Wellcome Young Investigator Award from the UK Physiological Society
- AP Mowat Young Investigator Award from the British Society of Gastroenterology
- Association of Learning Technology Technologist of the Year 2009
- UK National Teaching Fellowship 2012 for outstanding leadership in higher education
- Principal Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy 2015 the highest professional award