Figshare Profile: https://figshare.com/authors/Vivien_Rolfe/5039696
De Montfort University International Social Enterprise Conference organised by Momodou Sallah, #GlobalHands
Viv Rolfe (2017). Physiology News Autumn 2017 PN108, Pages 40 to 41. Available at: http://www.physoc.org/magazine (interactive magazine) or PhysiologyNews_Rolfe2017 (PDF)
Viv Rolfe (2017). Phys Soc blog post: https://physocblogs.wordpress.com/2017/12/21/open-education-a-creative-approach-to-learning-and-teaching/?utm_content=bufferd6d0d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
- Weller, M., Jordan, K., DeVries, I., & Rolfe, V. (2018). Mapping the open education landscape: citation network analysis of historical open and distance education research. Open Praxis, 10(2), 109-126. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5944/openpraxis.10.2.822
- Rolfe, Vivien (2018): Open Textbooks Article_28Mar2018.pdf. Figshare. Paper. Available: https://figshare.com/articles/Open_Textbooks_Article_28Mar2018_pdf/6062948
- Rolfe Vivien (2017). Striving Toward Openness: But What Do We Really Mean?. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 18(7) , [S.l.], v. 18, n. 7, nov. 2017. ISSN 1492-3831. Available: http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/3207/4445
- Rolfe V. (2016). Web Strategies for the Curation and Discovery of Open Educational Resources. Open Praxis, 8(4). Available: https://openpraxis.org/index.php/OpenPraxis/article/view/305
- Rolfe V. (2015). Advancing Healthcare Sciences through Staff, Student and Service User Partnerships. The Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change.
- Rolfe V. (2015). Ethics of MOOCs. In: The MOOC Case Book: Case Studies in MOOC Design, Development and Implementation. Available: http://linusbooks.com/?wpsc-product=1527-2ISBN 10: 1-60797-561-0 ISBN 13: 978-1-60797-561-8
Edited by Joseph Rene Corbeil, Maria Elena Corbeil and Badrul H. Khan. *Runner up of the 2016 Association of Educational Communications and Technology (AECT)’s Division of Distance Learning Book Award.
- Cathy Bennett et al. (2015). BOB CAT: a Large-Scale Review and Delphi Consensus for Management of Barrett’s Esophagus With No Dysplasia, Indefinite for, or Low-Grade Dysplasia. The American Journal of Gastroenterology , (14 April 2015) | doi:10.1038/ajg.2015.55. Available: http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ajg201555a.html (I was privileged to be one of around 180 global partners on this project).
- Rolfe V. (2015). A Systematic Review of the Socio-Ethical Aspects of Massive Online Open Courses. EURODL. Available at: http://www.eurodl.org/materials/contrib/2015/Rolfe.pdf
- Rolfe V. (2015). Students as evaluators of open educational resources. Open Education Europa, ELearning Papers. Available: http://www.openeducationeuropa.eu/en/article/Assessment-certification-and-quality-assurance-in-open-learning_In-Depth_40_2?paper=164347
- Dorey-Elias T, Morgan T and Rolfe V (2018). Digging into the past – Historical branches of open. #OER18 Conference, 18-19th April 2018. Available: https://oer18.oerconf.org/sessions/impact-of-the-uk-open-textbook-pilot-project-1897/ Slides: https://www.slideshare.net/VivRolfe/historical-branches-of-open
- Pitt B, Farrow R, de los Arcos B, Rolfe V, Kernohan D, Nicholson D and Ernst D (2018). Impact of the UK Open Textbook pilot project. #OER18 Conference, 18-19th April 2018. Available: https://oer18.oerconf.org/sessions/impact-of-the-uk-open-textbook-pilot-project-1897/
- Jordan K, De Vries I, Weller M, Rolfe V (2017). Reclaiming our History: Citation Network Analysis of Historical Open and Distance Education Research. World Conference on Online Learning, 16-19th October 2017, Toronto. Slides here: https://www.slideshare.net/IDevries/reclaiming-our-history-citation-network-analysis-of-historical-open-and-distance-education-research
- Rolfe V and Kernohan D (2017). Exploring textbook use and culture with Higher Education staff and students. SRHE, 6-8th December 2017. SLIDESHARE
- Vivien Rolfe, David Kernohan, Beck Pitt, Beatriz De Los Technology Arcos, Robert Farrow, Martin Weller (2017). Empowering students and staff through the use of open textbooks. Abstract 1756. ALT-C, September 5-7th 2017.
- Rolfe V (2017). Could open textbooks improve the experience of all students? University of Plymouth 6th Annual PedRIO Conference. https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/institutes/pedagogic/archived-events/6th-annual-pedrio-conference-2017
- Rolfe V and Jhangiani R (2017). Advocating innovation in open education: UK and Canadian successes and failures. #OER17, 4-5 April 2017. Video available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRPtCHCPpQY&index=2&list=WL
- Harold S, Rolfe V and Sardo M (2017). I find the whole enterprise daunting”: Academic staff understanding of open educational initiatives. #OER17, 4-5 April 2017.
- MacNeill S, Bell F, Rolfe V, Cronin C, Fraser J and Bowles K (2017). Saying open: sustaining critical open educational practice in a time of walls and borders. #OER17, 4-5 April 2017.
- Rolfe V (2016). Open, but not for criticism? #opened16, Richmond Virginia, November 2016. Available: http://www.slideshare.net/viv_rolfe/opened16-conference-presentation
- Rolfe V and Kernohan D (2016). Open education: “Runnin with the devil”. #OER16 OER16, University of Edinburgh 19-20 April 2016. https://oer16.oerconf.org/sessions/open-education-runnin-with-the-devil-1098/ *LIVESTREAMED*
- Slideshare: http://www.slideshare.net/viv_rolfe/open-education-a-critical-appraisal
- Rolfe V, Kernohan D, Campbell L, Lockley P, Thomson S and Havernam L (2016). Web today, gone tomorrow. OER sustainability panel session. #OER16 OER16, University of Edinburgh 19-20 April 2016. https://oer16.oerconf.org/sessions/web-today-gone-tomorrow-how-can-we-ensure-continuing-access-to-oers-1099/
- Kyriazis PG and Rolfe V (2016). Panagiotis BCUR Presentation.
- Copeland H and Rolfe V (2016). Harriet’s BCUR Presentation.
- Rolfe V (2016). #DS106 Learning as a digital story. MELSIG Digital Narratives, Nottingham Trent University, 8th January 2016. http://melsig.shu.ac.uk/?page_id=981
- Deshpande A, Kyriazis PG, Mafohla K, Kehayova MO, Scott G, Smith-Warren C and Rolfe V. (2015). Attitudes toward patient involvement in healthcare science education among multiple stakeholder groups. Society for Research into Higher Education, Cardiff 8 December. Student internship research presentation.
- Rolfe V (2015). Open education: sustainability versus vulnerability. The Open Education Conference (#opened15), Vancouver 18-20 November 2015. Click for Slideshare.
- Cronin C and Rolfe V (2015). On your marks, get set, go open! Association of Learning Technology Conference (#altc), Manchester 8-10 September 2015. Available: https://altc.alt.ac.uk/2015/sessions/on-your-marks-get-set-go-open-836/
- Rolfe V and Kernohan D (2015). “The Cost of Not Going Open”. Workshop, jazz and cocktails at OER15, Cardiff 14-15 April 2015.
- Rolfe V (2015). Reach and impact of OERs. Cardiff 14-15 April 2015.
- Rolfe V (2014). Open all hours: Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE) conference, Cardiff, December 2014. Opening-up education to inspire future learners and teachers. Abstract available: http://www.srhe.ac.uk/conference2014/abstracts/0240.pdf. Blog article available: http://vivrolfe.com/blog/guinea-pigs-in-a-maelstrom/
- Rolfe V and Kernohan D (2014). OpenEd14, Washington DC, November 2014. Perceptions and socio-ethical stances surrounding massive online open courses. Abstract available: http://sched.co/1lBhU7F. Blog article available: http://vivrolfe.com/uncategorized/opened14-socio-ethical-stances-of-moocs/
- Rolfe V and Kernohan D (2014). OER14, Newcastle, April 2014. Users perceptions and experiences of MOOCs. Abstract available: http://www.medev.ac.uk/oer14/72/view/
- Rolfe V (2013). OpenEd13, UTAH, November 2013. Results of systematic review looking at research supporting MOOCs in higher education. Slides available: http://www.slideshare.net/viv_rolfe/open-ed13-utahmoocs-and-social-responsibility-to-learnersvrolfenov13
Webinars and virtually connecting
#YearOfOpen Open Pedagogy Discussion (hosted by Maha Bali)
Streamed live on Apr 24, 2017
David Wiley, Catherine Cronin, Robin DeRosa, Sheila MacNeill, Sukaina Walji, Viv Rolfe, David Kernohan, Tannis Morgan, Mike Caulfield and Maha Bali. Joined by Sue Higgins and Mary Lou Forward from OEConsortium
ALT OpenEdSig (2016) #openedsig #oer16 OER16 preview and publicity. Lorna Campbell, Viv Rolfe and others. https://www.alt.ac.uk/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=219
ALT OpenEdSig (2015) #openedsig OER from over the pond. Viv Rolfe and David Kernohan. Available: https://www.alt.ac.uk/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=199
ALT OpenEdSig (2015) #openedsig How open is open education? Terry McAndrew, Shirley Evans and Viv Rolfe. Available: https://www.alt.ac.uk/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=142
Other useful stuff from me and others
- SCORE Fellowship (2011-2012) Report – Virtual Analytical Laboratory, V Rolfe. Available as PDF: SCORE final report_VRolfe_May15
- SCORE Case study (2011-2012) Report on Health OERs, V Rolfe, R Windle and J Williams. Available as PDF: SCORE HealthOER final report_RolfeWindleWilliams_May15
- We decided to share Libor’s dissertation – student perceptions of OER. Available: http://www.biologycourses.co.uk/biology-news/student-perceptions-of-oers
- Always useful – Phil Race’s slides on writing effective multiple choice questions. Available: Phil Race MCQ Presentation
- Ran a workshop at the University of East Anglia about online delivery of health projects back in July 2014. Available: Powerpoint slides for Design, Develop, Deliver
Publications 2012 and earlier
Perhaps the most important paper of all is the 2011 systematic review with Douglas Gray asking the question “are multimedia resources effective for student learning in bioscience education”. The answer was yes, in some areas, but with the huge caveat that there is an abundance of edu-research out there, but most papers had to be discounted because of poor quality and poor method design (which is part of the systematic process to evaluate).
- Rolfe VE. (2012). Open educational resources: staff attitudes and awareness. Research in Learning Technology 20, 14395. pp. 1-13. At: http://www.researchinlearningtechnology.net/index.php/rlt/article/view/14395
- Rolfe VE, Fowler MR and Dyson SM. (2012). Sickle cell in the university curriculum; a survey assessing demand for open-access educational materials in a constructed community of interest. Diversity in Health and Care, 8 (4) pp.239-250.
- Rolfe VE and Fowler MR. (2012). JISC OER Case Study. How institutional culture can change to adopt open practices. pp. 1-11. Download PDF –> 2012 Rolfe and Fowler How_institutional_culture_can_change
- Vivien E Rolfe and Douglas Gray. (2011). Are Multimedia Resources Effective in Life Science Education? A Meta-Analysis. Bioscience Education, 18(3), pp. 1-14. Available at: http://www.bioscience.heacademy.ac.uk/journal/vol18/beej-18-3.aspx
- Rolfe VE. (2010). Can Turnitin be used to provide instant formative feedback? British Journal of Education Technology. 42(4), pp. 701-710. At: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2010.01091.x/abstract
- Rolfe VE. (2009). Development of a Virtual Analytical Laboratory (VAL) multimedia resource to support student transition to laboratory science at university. HEA Bioscience Case Study. pp. 1-5. At: http://www.bioscience.heacademy.ac.uk/ftp/casestudies/Vrolfe.pdf
- Rolfe VE, Alcocer M, Bentley E, Milne D & Meyer-Sahling J. (2008). Academic staff attitudes towards electronic learning in Arts and Sciences. European Journal of Distance Learning. 2008(1). At: http://www.eurodl.org/index.php?article=313
Two of the most enjoyable publications – the first working with Professor Yash Mahida’s group at Nottingham which was a review on host-bacterial interactions, and the second writing a review for the Cochrane Organisation. This started my love affair with systematic reviews.
- Rolfe VE, Fortun PJ, Hawkey CJ & Bath-Hextall F. (2006). Probiotics for maintenance of remission in Crohn’s disease. Cochrane Database. Oct 18(4), pp. 1-25.
- Mahida YR and Rolfe VE. (2004). Host-bacterial interactions in inflammatory bowel disease. Clinical Science 107(4), pp. 331-341.
Next comes my “poo” phase, researching intestinal physiology in dogs and cats. Most of the research on the biological effects of functional foods and phytochemical was not publishable to protect the intellectual property (although some data is available in patent form). This bunch reflects some of the pure research linking gut transit, absorption and faecal consistency. All vital stuff for any dog owner.
- Zentek J, Hall EJ, German A, Haverson K, Bailey M, Rolfe V, Butterwick R, Day MJ. (2002). Morphology and immunopathology of the small and large intestine in dogs with nonspecific dietary sensitivity. Journal of Nutrition; 132(6 Suppl 2), 1652S-4S.
- Rolfe VE, Batt RM & Butterwick RF. (2002). Relationships between fecal character and intestinal transit time in normal dogs and dogs with dietary sensitivity. American Journal of Vet Research 43(7), pp. 290-294.
- Rolfe VE, Adams CA, Butterwick RF, Batt RM. (2002). Relationships between fecal consistency and colonic function in dogs with and without non-specific dietary sensitivity. American Journal of Vet Research 63(4), pp. 61-68.
- Rolfe VE. (1999). Canine Colonic fluid and electrolyte transport in health and disease. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 29(2), pp. 577-588.
The final bunch of papers reflects my time at the Institute of Child Health in London (with Professor Milla) and my PhD at Sheffield University (with Roy Levin) where we uncovered some fundamental understanding on intestinal absorption and secretion. Bacterial toxins that cause diarrhoea (like E. coli STa) do so by causing water secretion where they contact the intestine, but ALSO by sending nerve reflexes via the gut-brain axis. They also involve enteric nerves (the gut’s own nervous system – or little brain), using nitric oxide as a neurotransmitter, and could be blocked by capsaicin a photochemical constituent. All important stuff for understanding the one of the biggest global causes of infant mortality back then 20 years ago, and sadly still the case today.
- Rolfe VE & Levin RJ. (1999). Vagotomy inhibits the jejunal fluid secretion activated by luminal ileal Escherichia coli STa. Gut 44, pp. 615-619.
- Rolfe VE & Milla PJ. (1999). Nitric oxide stimulates cyclic guanosine monophosphate production in Caco-2 colonocytes. Clinical Science 96(2), pp. 165-170.
- Rolfe VE & Levin RJ. (1998). Neural and non-neural activation of electrogenic secretion by 5-HT. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica 162, pp. 469-474.
- Rolfe VE, Brand MP, Heales SJR, Lindley KJ & Milla PJ. (1997). Tetrahydrobiopterin regulates cyclic GMP-dependent electrogenic chloride secretion in vitro. Journal of Physiology 503.2, pp. 347-352.
- Rolfe VE & Levin RJ. (1994). Enterotoxin E. coli STa activates a NO-dependent myenteric plexus secretory reflex. Journal of Physiology 475.3, pp. 531-537.
Talks and conference presentations
There are far too many talks and presentations to list here – hundreds over the years in countries including:
Digestive Disease Week 2004, New Orleans, Louisiana
Argentina Buenos Aires (WSAVA conference)
America Los Angeles, San Diago, San Francisco, New Orleans (AGA conferences)
America Seattle (WSAVA conference)
America Las Vegas (Sloan Consortium, Merlot conference)
America New Orleans (Hewlett 2015 Annual Open Education Conference)
America Richmond VA (OpenEd16)
America UTAH (OpenEd13)
America Washington DC (OpenEd14)
America Fredericksburgh University of Mary Washington (Hack Weekend 2014)
Canada Vancouver (OpenEd12)
Canada Kamloops (Thomson Rivers University 2015)
Germany Munich (ESPGHAN conference)
Hong Kong (SHAPE School for Higher and Professional Education)
Italy Florence, Rome (WSAVA conferences)
Japan Tokyo (MARS innovation conference)
Malaysia Kuala Lumpur (INTI and others)
Singapore (Temasek college and others)
Have a few to my name!!